Emissions produced by all vehicles operating on fossil fuels, release many harmful polluting gases and health damaging materials:
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2) – produced as an exhaust emission, accounts for >20% of Greenhouses Gases (GHGs) that lead to global warming and climate change
- Particulate matter (Pm) – unseen solids from exhaust emissions. Inhaling Pm causes asthma, lung cancer, cardiovascular issues, respiratory diseases, birth defects, and premature death
- Carbon Monoxide (CO) – the most common type of fatal air poisoning in many countries. colourless, odourless, and tasteless, but highly toxic
- Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) –produced during fuel combustion. All NOx are damaging to human health, with more damaging results than Pm
- Hydrocarbons (CH) – together with NOx and sunlight produce GHGs. Hydrocarbons are cancerous in varying degrees. Diesel being the worst.